Tomb of Sheikh Zahed, which dates back to the Safavid era, requires urgent restoration. The tomb is located 4 km from Lahijan, Gilan province, in Sheikhan Village on the slopes of a mountain and in the middle of tea farms. Sheikh Zahed Gilani (1218-1301), who was a mystic, is also known as Tajeddin Ebrahim. He had a great influence on his followers and contributed to the spread of Islam in Gilan. He also was one of the great Sufis of Iran. He was originally from Sanjan city in Khorasan province. Every year, a large number of tourists visit this tomb.
His historical structure covered with earthenware tiles is of a pyramid shape, with a pointed dome and ceiling of plaster work. Tile works are the main decorative element in the building of this tomb. Colorful tiles, measuring 12 cm by 12 cm and depicting floral patterns in turquoise, yellow, white and black, can be noticed in the southwestern and northwestern sections of the tomb. These and other tiles on the dome’s walls are designed with tiles whose patterns, design, color and dimensions were modeled after tiles of the Qajar era. The exterior of the rectangular chamber of this building is decorated with colorful tiles measuring 15 cm by 15 cm with floral patterns. These tiles are colored yellow, green, white, red and black. Enameled tiles measuring 14 cm by 14 cm have been used around the above-mentioned tiles.
The exterior of the northern side of the rectangular chamber is covered with tiles measuring 15.5 cm by 15.5 cm and 16 cm by 16 cm. This is while the lower section of the dome is decorated with enameled tiles and tiles with floral patterns that have dimensions of 16.5 cm by 9.5 cm. In addition to tiles and bricks, the building is decorated with wood. The only inscription on the wooden chest on the tomb reveals the date of 832 AH. The architectural style of the structure displays the effects of the 8th or 9th century AH. The same has been on record in Iran. The blue, pyramidal roof of the distinctive wooden Sheikh Zahed Mausoleum is Lahijan’s architectural icon. The holy man buried here supposedly lived to the ripe old age of 116 (1218–1334). That’s longer than the present mausoleum, which was rebuilt after a devastating 1913 fire.